Read the latest articles from the blog! We cover theology, philosophy, and science from a biblical perspective and evaluate the massive insights that the Bible can provide in our daily lives.
“Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if these teachings were true.” – Acts 17:11
- How Is Faith In God Different From Faith In A Bet?by James DusenberyOh there is a vast difference and frankly, I am really glad to see this question pop up because I have been speaking to quite a few people of late who conflate the difference between belief and faith. While they can be deeply intertwined and are presented this way in the modern dictionary, contrary to popular belief, they are not the same thing in a religious context.
- Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Knowing That Adam And Eve Would Eat From It?by James DusenberyIf you take a look at theological history, you’ll see that a great deal of time and energy has been exhausted answering this question: If God wants us all to live in a paradise, why didn’t He skip all of this and simply create a utopian world? You can see my general answer to this question here, but in this answer I will focus specifically on the Judeo-Christian worldview since we are speaking about Adam and Eve.
- Is Homelessness a Moral Issue?by James DusenberyIf you pass a homeless person on the street and make no offer to help, within the bounds of your financial and material capabilities, then this is a problem which is indirectly perpetuated by your lack of empathy and assistance.
- Will I Be Able To Get Baptized If I Believe That God Is Evil?by James DusenberyIn order for a person to decide that God is indeed evil, you first need to acknowledge God’s existence. Then, by virtue of judgment, you need to acknowledge God’s claim as creator. If one does not acknowledge this claim, then God is reduced to a created being and is no longer, by definition, God.
- Why Wouldn’t an Omnipotent Creator Simply Create Life in Paradise?by James Dusenberyin order to create a paradise, you must first create something imperfect, yet capable of perfectly preparing one for paradise. Check out the full response to this question on Quora. What do you think about it? Hit me up on my socials with your thoughts!
- Is God Either Unwilling or Unable to Prevent Suffering?by James DusenberyCheck out the response to this question on Quora. What do you think about it? Hit me up on my socials with your thoughts!
- No Evil Will Befall Youby James DusenberyDeath, disease, starvation, homelessness, and many, many more problems plague humanity. At times, we all find ourselves facing or fearing these problems either in our own lives or in the lives of others. The following psalm addresses our fear of these things, acknowledging that God will protect those who take refuge in Him. Before reading the psalm, I’d like you to reflect on what that protection may look like in your own life.
- On the Intervention of Godby James DusenberyPeople say that God is evil. They look at the Old Testament with disgust and remorse, viewing historical demonstrations of God’s power and authority as murderous genocide. In a recent conversation, I was presented with a few contradictory opinions regarding God: God is deeply immoral and has no moral right to interfere with our lives.…
- Homosexuality And Christianityby James DusenberyChristianity and Judaism have a long history of speaking out against homosexual acts. Of course, it is important to understand the specific kinds of acts that were spoken out against, at least scripturally, as Christianity and Judaism also have a long history of speaking out against heterosexual acts. I intend to explore the original context of scripture on this topic and bring to light many misconceptions cause by Biblical interpretations rather than translations. Having researched this topic extensively, I would like to be candid here, I do not see a ban on loving, committed relationships in scripture, regardless of the sexual orientation of the relationship.
- Podcast – Biblical Evolutionby James DusenberyJoin Chris as he takes a closer look at how evolution aligns with Genesis. We review the phrasing used by God during the creation process, and we examine some of the Hebrew used as well. If the earth brought forth all of the living creatures, as Genesis states it did, how is this different from evolution?
- I Think, Therefore I Amby James DusenberyAll knowledge begins with God. Without God, all that can result is foolishness. This may seem counterintuitive, especially if you do not believe in God, because we are taught to rely exclusively on our own senses, or our own comprehension and understanding when we think about the world. However, if we take a moment to really think about it, we have created fields of study dedicated to answering the very questions that the Bible addresses outright and these fields of study haven’t been very successful.
- Podcast – The Yom Problemby James Dusenberycient Hebrew words for day, evening, and morning, examining how their definitions and context effect their meaning. Does a day necessarily refer to a 24 hour period when used in Genesis 1? Listen now to find out!